This document walks you through setting up two-factor authentication (2FA) for the Instart portal, using the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone as the additional factor.
- Ask Instart Support to enable 2FA for your account.
- Get the Google Authenticator app from your phone's app store.
- When you first log in after 2FA is enabled, you will see the following setup screen:
- Re-enter your password, then tap Next.
- You will be presented with a manual key and a QR code:
- Open the Authenticator app on your phone and click the + to add a new account:
- Select Scan barcode or Manual Entry:
If you chose Scan barcode, center the barcode in the green rectangle on the phone until the app reads the code; if you chose Manual entry, enter the Account and the Key provided by Instart portal in the fields presented by the app:
- The app should now display the 2FA passcode that you can use to log in to the Instart customer portal.
Note the small timer to the right of the code. This indicates the timeout that occurs, at which point the passcode expires and a new one is displayed. So if you enter the passcode in the portal login at the same moment as the timer runs out, it won't be accepted. Simply enter the refreshed passcode.
You can also use the Google Authenticator extension for the Chrome browser on a laptop or desktop as the additional factor. The steps are the same except that it's probably not feasible to scan the barcode as you can with the phone app.